Thursday, November 27, 2008

WARNING: "WE" does not exist without "I"...

Lately I have been witnessed how so many new "gurus" of leadership, social entrepreneurship, etc. keep on making this strong emphasis on the "we" as the most important element of any human and organizational process...

I assume that those people are making a point that is very valid under the premise that cannot exist WE without "I"...
However today I saw a slide show in which stated clearly the countdown from the 5 more important words in Leadership...

The 5 more important words...
The 4 more important...
The 3...
The 2...
And the MOST important word is....
WE
So far, cool...
After that, and out of the blue, in a slide that I not really understand why is there, I read:

"The least important word: I"


WTF!!???

I lost all interest for the opinions of whoever made the slide show...
Not because different opinions are not welcomed, but because of the fact that I think stating such things as truths can mislead people, mostly young people in search for answers and that trust what "gurus" have to say...

Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world where people are taught to listen and learn from "gurus", to believe what they say, and to follow the "book"... (whatever the book is, we are all surrounded by books that we are supposed to follow...)
Instead of living in a world where young people are encouraged to live and discover by themselves life and make their own conclusions...

Well, I am here not to state a truth, but MY truth, what I believe...
I believe there cannot be WE without I.
I believe the most important word in life is "I"...
I makes us take responsibility:
I made a mistake vs. They do not listen
I believe vs. This is the truth
I feel vs. People think/say/never... (looong etc here)
My use of I has freed me...
The absence of I in some parts of my life condemned me to sorrow and self-pity, excusing myself for everything by blaming the others...

-----------

Don't get me wrong, is not about isolating myself from the world, at the en of the day "I" is the result of my interactions with all the people that I have meet in my life, the ones that I loved, the ones that I disappointed, the ones that made me laugh, the ones that I cried for... All of them...

But I feel deep inside that is so dangerous to live in a world where we are being brainwashed about it, to believe that WE is more important than I...

I believe that:
WE is crucial for US as a community of life.
I is crucial for LIFE itself.


For Dey:
The most important word is "I"
The rest is secondary.
Because I love myself and accept who I am I can be part of the world, 
I can belong to WE.
I am not looking for a solution to my problems and a scape to my sorrow in the WE...
I am looking for a sense and feeling of community in the WE.
A community of very strong, determined and powerful Is.

Love tons.

From the I that I am to the I that is reading...



Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Marjam said...

Beautiful! Couldn't agree more - knowing this I first is the only way to know what is WE.

From another I